Dr. Biswal is a Professor in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, teaching in areas of mass and energy balances, polymer physics, and transport phenomena. Biswal joined the Rice faculty in 2006. She earned doctorate in chemical engineering from Stanford University in 2004 and received her undergraduate degree in chemical engineering at the California Institute of Technology. She completed her postdoctoral research in mechanical engineering at the University of California at Berkeley. She has won a 2007 Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research and a 2009 National Science Foundation CAREER Award.
Associate Dean for Faculty Development main responsibilities:
- Primary contact for School of Engineering (SoE) tenure-track and tenured faculty affairs and scholarship.
- Support planning and programming of SoE faculty including faculty recruitment consistent with SoE and Institute Strategic Plans.
- Coordinate SoE faculty development initiatives with university VPAA efforts.
- Develop and lead new faculty orientation and mentoring programs
- Develop and lead SoE processes for faculty nominations and awards.
- Support SoE faculty reappointment, promotion, and tenure processes.
- Coordinate with Associate Dean for Research & Innovation in developing strategies for faculty participation in SoE and University research initiatives.
- Serve as an ombudsperson for SoE faculty for concerns and conflicts related to their university duties and responsibilities.